🏊 Smart Swimming Pool: Home automation for smarter Control of your Swimming Pool
In my setting I have a thermal solar system for heating water and for support of heating environment within the house. the heated water is collected within a buffer which has a third circulation for my pool. Attached to this third circulation a pump is attached to heat via heat exchanger the water of the pool:
- Swimming pool with sand filter system
- Heating circuit with heat exchanger that can be switched on via a pump
- Solar heat storage tank with additional heating circuit for the pool
If a heating circuit is prepared via a heat exchanger, the implementation of the smart control of the pool can be started.
The heart of the system is the Pool Controller. This is responsible for the central control of:
- Circulation period for cleaning by means of a sand filter system
- Switching on the heating circuit for warming up the pool water
- Reporting of statuses and current temperatures for integration into Smart Home Server solutions
The pool controller supports the MQTT based protocol Homie for communication with other smart home systems and thus offers easy integration into openHAB. Using the configuration for the openHAB-Server presented here, the pool controller can be quickly and easily controlled and configured.
🏊 Smart Swimming Pool is based on the first project which was not yet modular and had implemented the control logic within openHAB rules.
The first version was in use in Summer 2018 and showed some weaknesses:
- Controlling the pumps via 433 MHz socket switches was not reliable, because there were no confirmation and the status was unknown.
- The switching logic was implemented in rules on the openHAB server. This led to problems, if the WiFi does not work reliably.
- The MQTT messages had a proprietary message format.
From the experience of the summer of 2018 resulted this revised version of the 🏊 Smart Swimming Pool: modular, resiliant using standards.